Water Damage Avoidance Tips
The one type of loss we’ve seen that can most easily be avoided is water damage.
The majority of water damage is caused by overflow from dishwashers and washing machines, and those overflows almost always happen when people leave those appliances running while they’re gone or asleep.
So instead of a minor annoyance easily handled by a mop and a very little bit of time, they end up with major damage, the cost of a deductible and the inconvenience of major repairs.
Following are a few tips to avoid all this unnecessary pain.
- Only run dishwashers and washing machines when you’re at home and awake.
- Replace clothes washer hoses every 5 yrs.
Other tips are
- If away from home for extended period of time turn water supply off to residence, be sure to turn off power to water heater as well.
- In older homes replace those rigid supply lines to sinks and toilets with flexible braided stainless steel supply lines. Some even are equipped with auto shut off if they burst.
- Make sure your HVAC system has a float switch in the condensation line to turn off the system if the line backs up.